Friday, June 5, 2009

When Do You Get Time?

"Time can slip through your fingers! So can taco sauce."
- Peppy

A friend sent me an email and asked "when do you find time to design layouts like you are doing on the blog?" Good question.

In Atlanta we have this thing called a long commute. I'm on the road about 1.5 hours per day. With an extra half hour on Friday that makes 8 hours per week driving. God blessed me with the ability to draw and design things in my head, in 3D and remember them long enough to write them down. My brother and father can do this as well. Also, I keep a pocket recorder hanging from my rear view mirror and a notebook and pen close by.

I also eat lunch which is about 45 minutes a day. Often I carry my notebook and jot down sketches and notes. Then in the late evening, usually about 9:30 or 10:00, we are very quiet in the house while my 4-year-old sleeps. I'll sit at the computer and draw up the sketches, make notes and write copy for about 30 minutes or so.

So when you look at it...

8 hours on the road
3.5 hours at lunch
2.5 hours in the evenings

Up to 14 hours a week can be spent on trains! You can get a lot done in that amount of time.

Keep in mind, the date the post is issued is seldom the actual day I write it. In fact, many times the stuff you see is two or more weeks old. I just jot this stuff down as I go and when I get to the end of a concept, I send it. Sometimes I'll write two posts on a rainy saturday and schedule them to post at different times.

There!

No comments:

Post a Comment